tweets

Friday, August 28, 2009

GSM, black boxes, and iPhones: the tech that drives Zipcar - Ars Technica

Sounds pretty cool - If I could find one every morning and every evening I could actually save the hassle of maintaining a car - and save money spent on buying a car.
 
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/08/gsm-black-boxes-and-iphones-the-tech-that-drives-zipcar.ars

After making the reservation, I walk to the car of my choosing and wave my Zipcard over a sensor on the windshield. The car unlocks and I grab the key, which is attached to the dashboard, and off I go. When I return the car, I wave my card again and the car locks. The company bills the reservation straight to the credit card I have on file.

The tech behind it

When a reservation is made on the Internet, a package is sent over GSM to the chosen car and stored in a ring buffer until the driver shows up with his or her Zipcard, which is equipped with an RFID chip. The cardreader mounted in the windshield reads the RFID signature to authenticate the holder of the card and sends the message to the computer in the car. From there, the computer asks itself three questions: Am I the right car? Is it the right time? Is this the right driver?

No comments: