tweets

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yoko Ogawa: The Housekeeper and the Professor

http://www.oldmustybooks.com/2009/01/29/yoko-ogawa-the-housekeeper-and-the-professor/
Image

Yoko Ogawa made mathematics alluring with this delightful book about a mathematics professor, his housekeeper and her ten year old son.  None of the characters have names, though the son has a nickname (Root), given by the professor.  Interestingly, the protagonist, in my opinion, is the Professors short term memory.  After a devastating accident, the professor only has 80 minutes of short term memory.  This means, every single morning, the Housekeeper has to re-introduce herself to the Professor before she can go into his house.  One would think there would be no way to build a relationship with this sort of setback. This book shows its possible.

Rajan : "My lack of imagination is so glaring. My image of the professor was a much more disorganized, unhealthy and weak. The lady too wasnt a young japanese girl as shown here. I think I was using my Indian sensibilities."

No comments: