tweets

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Invasion by sound.

The pleasure of reading, I find, is in the fact that you can travel to places and times using just the visual sense. The fact that the sense of hearing and touch are not involved in the experience is something I am beginning to enjoy more. I don't know if there can be utilitarian value to this disposition. This reason, why I like to read is something I never articulated (like a gazillion other things I never articulate or am not capable of articulating).
At this point I am a bit averse to my inside being invaded by sound. The thought of sound is bringing on a sense of violation.

Is this a sense of aging and growing ? or is it just a temporal glitch in the state of mind ?
I think this has a longer life than a glitch. I can relate to the impulse of the young mind to be constantly accompanied by some background sounds. Has that been placated by a sense of self assurance or rather resignation to "Other Influential Variables" ? It could also be the same mechanism that ignores the "cry of wolf", that works to make the crutch of "reassuring sounds" superfluous to the mind.

Segue question : Is it more likely that immigrant communities have a  higher tendency to have "reassuring sounds" play constantly in the background ? This being a over-riding need than the appreciation of the musicality of the sound.

Right now, I am trying to read Norman Mailer's "Prisoner of Sex". Maybe because I don't have a good grip on the English language. But I think all his fancy prose is taking up so much real estate that it is taking away from any point that he is trying to make. Is literature evaluated on the trickery of words and metaphors or on its ability to evoke the ideas, concepts, thoughts and actions in as many people as possible ? I for now am able to use only the latter metric.


No comments: