tweets

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Mahatma - education - India

I was watching 'Making of the Mahatma' by Shyam Benegal. It shows the human side of Mr.Mohandas. He was no doubt a great man but more than anything else he was human. Maybe we shouldnt have called him Mahatma. We dont even want to understand him for being human.
I think there is a good case study to be made of how he was a bad father and probably a bad husband. In India as part of my education I am just taught of Mr. Gandhi as the father of the nation, the person who lead the Indian cause in the struggle for independence.
Maybe I was too young to understand the subtleties when I was in school. So now, is all this information just for me to voluntarily grab when I grow older. How many of use dont even expose ourselves to such thoughts. By not making such elements part of our educational experience we are just produing literate youth as compared to educated youth. Only those who have an environment of tolerance to different thoughts would turn out to be educated.

As an unrelated thought. If you havent seen Magdalene sisters you should.

No comments: